Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Better Mantra for a Writer



She believed she could, so she did.

That’s become my mantra of late.  There are alot of things I want to do – I want to finish my current novel, write my blog, and build my ghost blogging and social media business. I want to go Paris. I want to spend time with my family. I want to lose weight and improve my fitness. My mantra tells me that if I believe in my ability to accomplish my dreams I can. The ugly truth is that belief in yourself is often not sufficient. I wish it were.

Faith in yourself must be accompanied by copious amounts of effort – hard work. My sore muscles are reminding me of that this morning. I spent yesterday at the local YMCA. Thirty minutes on the bike and two sets on each of the weight machines. I feel good about the effort; just don’t ask me to lift my arms over my head.

Writing, no matter how passionate I feel or how great a story I have to tell requires effort, as well. Belief in myself must take me to the keyboard and put the pen in my hand. It must drive me to on-going exercise, and daily practice. Writing is one of those things that “she did,” past tense, never comes because there is always something else to write.

Maybe a better mantra for a writer would be “she believes she can, so she does.” She does sit down to her computer daily. She does plan out time to write. She does keep a journal.  And when one goal is accomplished, she does move on to the next.
 

signature-Marie

3 comments:

  1. You're right Marie, you do write, and take care of yourself, and all the rest. You do what you can and then you do it some more. Also, I love the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,

    I love this post. I too shall believe and BE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mantra~~Great Post!!
    Jackie McMullen (Facebook Friend)

    ReplyDelete